Main purpose of job
An exciting opportunity has arisen within Macfarlanes’ recruitment team for a recruitment adviser. The team comprises one recruitment manager, two recruitment advisers and one recruitment administrator. The successful hire will replace one of the advisers and will report to the recruitment manager.
The team are responsible for finding future talent that will enable Macfarlanes to deliver on the firm’s strategy. The adviser will play a key role in delivering end-to-end recruitment for temporary, permanent and contract positions within the legal practice groups and business services departments. In addition they will manage Macfarlanes’ recruitment brand and act as an ambassador of the firm.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Determining, coordinating and delivering a resourcing plan to meet the hiring needs of the team/department. This includes proactively responding to business needs with speed and accuracy, and seeking ideas and solutions.
- Adding value by demonstrating an understanding of the external market and trends, and sharing knowledge with the hiring manager.
- Building an understanding of the firm, the teams/departments and what they look for.
- Assisting with the creation of job descriptions.
- Promoting and engaging in direct sourcing, ensuring a positive candidate experience throughout.
- Liaising with recruitment agencies in relation to active roles, sharing information on the firm’s various initiatives and encouraging a diverse shortlist of candidates.
- Conducting initial telephone interviews with direct applicants and maintaining contact with them throughout the recruitment process.
- Suggesting and creating suitable interview exercises such as technical tests, group assessments, etc.
- Attending interviews for business services roles, often as the lead interviewer.
- Providing regular updates to the hiring managers on how their vacancies are progressing.
- Providing feedback to candidates and extending job offers.
- Contributing to the learning and development of the recruitment administrator.
- Attending or hosting recruitment related events.
- Ad hoc project work including improving processes and efficiencies, promoting the employee referral scheme, updating offer packs etc.
- Maintaining an up to date knowledge of current and relevant employment legislation.
The ideal candidate will have substantial recruitment experience from either a recruitment agency background or a law firm. We will also consider candidates from a professional services background. They will have proven success in sourcing candidates through direct recruitment channels including employee referrals.
In addition the successful individual will fulfil the following criteria:
- Strong academic qualification from A Levels, with a minimum 2:1 degree (or equivalent).
- Proven track record of quickly building relationships and credibility with key stakeholders.
- Keen to work as part of team whilst also possessing the ability to work independently.
- Willing to take ownership of tasks and projects, and demonstrates initiative.
- Competent, credible and committed.
- Professional, adaptable, responsible and enthusiastic.
- Experience of conducting competency based interviews.
- Ability to effectively prioritise multiple tasks and deadlines within a pressurised environment.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Creative thinker who can learn new processes, whilst also contributing with ideas and suggestions.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and will vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.